Articulation of Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate Examinations with General Education Requirements
Students with scores of 4 or 5 on College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations and scores of 5, 6, or 7 on International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examinations will be awarded course credit subject to the following restrictions:
- A maximum of one course credit (four semester hours) may be awarded in any of the following subject areas: anthropology, art history, biology, chemistry, Chinese, classical languages (including Latin), computer science, dance, economics, English, environmental science, film, French, geography, German, Italian, Japanese, mathematics, music, philosophy, physics, psychology, Spanish, statistics, studio and visual art, and theatre arts.
- If a student presents satisfactory scores on two distinct examinations in distinct subject areas of history or politics, a maximum of two elective course credits (eight semester hours) may be awarded in those areas.
- Satisfactory examination results in subject areas other than those specified above will be assessed to determine comparability to courses offered by the College of Arts and Sciences and applicability toward a University of the South program of study.
- If a student presents satisfactory scores on AP and IB examinations in the same subject area, credit is awarded for only one examination.
- Credit awarded for AP and IB examinations may be considered equivalent to specific courses. In such cases, a student may not receive credit for both the examination and the course.
- Students may earn a maximum of eight course credits (32 semester-hours) for satisfactory AP or IB examination results.
Most AP and IB examinations for which Sewanee students receive credit satisfy one requirement in the general education program approved in November 2012 (AP and IB examinations may not be used to satisfy general distribution requirements articulated in the 2012-2013 or earlier college catalog). The following tables indicate which general education requirement is satisfied by each AP and IB examination.
|Chinese Language and Culture||G6|
|Computer Science A||G5Q|
|English Language and Composition||None|
|English Literature and Composition||G1|
|French Language and Culture||G6|
|French Literature (no longer offered)||G6|
|German Language and Culture||G6|
|Government and Politics: Comparative||G4|
|Government and Politics: United States||G4|
|Italian Language and Culture||G6|
|Japanese Language and Culture||G6|
|Latin Literature (no longer offered)||G6|
|Latin: Vergil (no longer offered)||G6|
|Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism||G5|
|Physics C: Mechanics||G5|
|Spanish Literature and Culture||G6|
|Studio Art: Drawing||G2|
|Studio Art: Three-Dimensional Design||G2|
|Studio Art: Two-Dimensional Design||G2|
|United States History||G4|
|History: Europe/Middle East||G4|
Important Dates for College Students
Wed May 02 2018Last Day of Classes
Thu May 03 2018Reading DayFinal Examinations
Fri May 04 2018Final Examinations